Get free evaluation to get 50% discount to file Patent application from papers published in IEEE, ACM, or other conferences and journals
We focus on university research to promote progress of science by patenting quality inventions. Academic patents bring academic research closer to the industry and in the end to the users.
We Focus on University Research
- We understand University Research.
- We value contributions to science by faculty and grad students.
- We appreciate the sophistication level of university research.
- We promote university research by helping university researchers.
- We help university researchers to our best in the patent process.
Why Patent Academic Research?
- Academic patents enable progress of science. Malicious companies cannot patent similar research and stop others from developing or using that technology.
- Academic patents are valuable. Many academic patents cover important technologies which are highly sought after by the industry.
- Academic patents brings academic research to everybody faster. Companies developing services and products watch patents closely. Academic patents are a bridge that brings it in focus of those companies; companies license or buy those patents to bring that research to everybody. Some examples,
- Google began at Stanford University with PageRank Patent.
- Gatorade was invented and Patented at the University of Florida.
- Web browsers and plasma screens were created at the University of Illinois
- Allergy medicine Allegra (fexofenadine) was developed and Patented by Georgetown University.
- Academic patents bring research concepts closer to tangible products and services sought by the industry to bring to everyday life.
- Academic patents are enforceable without much investment through patent litigation financing companies and patent investment funds.
- Academic patents can be extremely valuable.
- Caltech won $1.1 billion patent award against Apple and Broadcom for infringing Wi-Fi chips (2020).
- Marvell Technology paid Carnegie Mellon University $750 million to settle the infringement of two hard disk drive patents (2016).
- University of Wisconsin won $234 million against Apple for iPhone 5s, 6 and 6 Plus smartphones infringing a 1998 patent improving performance by predicting instructions (2015).
- Glaxo Wellcome, Inc paid the University of Minnesota $450 million for patents related to antiviral medication Ziagen, used in the treatment of AIDS (1999).
A very small percentage of patents are filed by and issued to university professors and researchers, even though the quality of the invention is high passing the high bar of journal and conference publications.
We focus on securing exclusive patent rights for inventions of university professors and researchers to promote the Progress of Science.
Patent tips for Faculty & Grad Students
- Patent must be filed within 1 year of conference paper publication, public presentation of the research, or other publication like posters etc.
- US permits publication of research up to 1 year before patent application filing date, as US permits 1 year grace period. Most other countries like EU or China permit only 6 months, and many countries permit NO grace period at all.
University Research is Important
University research labs are at the forefront of technology. University faculty and researchers bring quality inventions to humanity passing the high bar of journal and conference editorial board. Patenting these innovations can provide the springboard to launch startups or to monetize the invention. A lot of highly successful startups and high-tech companies, including Google, HP, Cisco, Qualcomm, Broadcom, Rambus, Sun Microsystems, Silicon Graphics, MathWorks, Akamai, Boston Dynamics, Bose, iRobot, among many others, started from university research bringing quality research to everyday use. Providing patent drafting and prosecution services to university researchers would contribute a bit in this cycle of innovation moving humanity forward.
50% discount for professors, researchers, and graduate students.
Published papers in conferences or journals are eligible for 50% discount to encourage patenting peer-reviewed quality innovation that has been comprehensively disclosed as a paper. Papers not published in peer-reviewed conferences or journals, preliminary ideas, or technical reports are eligible for 20% discount.
FREE In-Depth Initial Consultation by Email, Phone, Meet, Zoom, Teams, WebEx or in-person
We communicate using your preferred method. Click to reach us right now.
- Is it patentable, an abstract idea, a formula, or a product of nature?
- Is it public or obvious? Is it publicly available, or prior ideas be easily combined, substituted, or tried in obvious way?
- Should I file provisional or non-provisional application?
- Should I file utility or design application? What is the filing process?
- How about rejections, objections, reexamination, or appeal?
Easy 15 second Form to Get Free Consultation with Patent Attorney
- No Obligation
- No Legalese
- Free & Easy
- Quality Assured
- In-Depth Evaluation
We get back quickly. Average response time 1 hour, max 12 hours.
Protected by Google reCAPTCHA – Privacy and Terms.
Why us? We try our best for you:
- Less time explaining invention – we get it quickly.
- Diligently prosecute patents – explore invention in-depth, considering all the examples, boundaries & limitations.
- Don’t compromise – don’t limit patent scope.
- Prevent vulnerability to obviousness attacks on patent.
- Ensure large patent scope that maintains higher value in future.
- Protect inventions in multiple ways – protection from all perspectives to safeguard invention.
- Exclusively patent focused – so we understand it better.
- Client first service – customized, innovative and creative solutions.
- Quality Assured Patent for Electrical, Computer, Software, Mechanical, and Medical inventions using many years of ECE, CS, and Engineering experience and rigorous Total Quality Management.
Client Testimonials about Our Services
The patent attorney has helped us with two patents. What impressed us the most is his expertise in both technicality and law. Our previous perception of working with patent lawyers was that they may do a good job in filing and negotiating, but when it comes to drafting and especially the iterations of revisions, it takes a lot of time and effort to explain to them and reach an agreement. In this case, he has the technical background comparable to that of the inventors, so we only needed the extent of details sufficient to communicate with a co-inventor/colleague. In particular, in the process of drafting, he was clear about the key point of each claim and how the system works, and able to make the modifications to satisfy the filing requirements. When later we had to revise the claims a few times, he always managed to make the best trade-off possible that addressed the patent examiner’s challenges, while not hurting the scope and value of the invention. With the complexity already time-consuming for us (as required by filing a patent), he could even maintain a turnaround of a day or just several hours.
Moreover, his helpfulness was also reflected in the sense that he made us convinced and understood the rationale of each decision point, instead of just making the changes on his own, so that we as the inventors can be synced and participate to achieve a better outcome. In the long term, what we’ve learned from him, the legal aspects and best practices, will facilitate our future research and production of inventions, as we were not well aware of these before.
Overall, during the whole process of both patents, we never felt that we were trying to “use” a patent lawyer, but just interacting with another co-inventor, in terms of: ownership, hard work, knowledge and ease of communication.
L. Zhao (Carleton University, Canada) and M. Mannan (Concordia University, Canada)
Our Sample Patents
Password triggered trusted encryption key deletion
A method of evaluating secrets in a computer system’s trusted execution environment, wherein after evaluation of secrets, a securely stored encryption key is either retrieved or deleted upon entering corresponding secret (password, graphical password, biometric information, data sequence, security token, etc.) or secrets. Deletion of the encryption key can happen in a verifiable manner or in a non-verifiable manner. If a storage is encrypted with the encryption key, deletion of the encryption key makes the encrypted storage irreversibly undecryptable, while retrieval of the key permits decryption of the storage. Two encryption keys can be used to encrypt two separate storages, and then securely stored and processed in the trusted execution environment. Each of the two encryption keys can be retrieved using one or more associated secrets (passwords, etc.), and one or more other secrets would delete the encryption key associated with a preselected storage.
Protection system and method against unauthorized data alteration
A system for protecting user-editable files against unauthorized data alteration or against compromised operating systems or compromised applications. It comprises of untrusted operating environments and a trusted operating environment. One or more untrusted operating environments makes available user-editable files for creation and editing, and are stored in a non-protected partition of storage drive. The trusted operating environment provides an authentication key to access protected partition of storage drive, and stores copies of user-editable files in a protected partition of storage drive. Each new stored copy of a user-editable file in the protected partition corresponds to a new or an updated version of the user-editable file. A set of files and folders can be initially selected in an uncompromised untrusted operating environment. A trusted updater module running inside the trusted operating environment can perform copying to protected partition. Scheduled tasks can also copy user-editable files. Untrusted operating environment can also be suspended prior to triggering the trusted environment.
20% discount to file Patent application from papers published in IEEE, ACM, or other conferences and journals, including:
- IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2021)
- ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACMMM 2021)
- IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation
- IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2021)
- ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2021)
- IEEE GLOBECOM Conference (GLOBECOM 2021)
- IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy
- ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining
- IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2021)
- ACM Symposium on Computer and Communications Security
- IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2021)
- ACM International World Wide Web Conference (WWW)
- ACM SIGCOMM Conference (SIGCOMM 2021)
- ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM 2021)
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2021)
- ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD 2021)
- ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2021)
- ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and development in information retrieval (SIGIR 2021)
- IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering Workshops (ICDE 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, ICDCS 2021
- IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNCW 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDMW 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition
- ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages (POPL 2021)
- IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2021)
- IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2021)
- IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA 2021)
- ACM Design Automation Conference (DAC 2021)
- ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW 2021)
- IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture
- ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering
- ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2021)
- IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC 2021)
- IEEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA 2021)
- IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing (IPDPS 2021)
- IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2021)
- ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (Mobisys 2021)
- IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2021)
- ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2021)
- IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE 2021)
- IEEE American Control Conference (ACC 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PERCOM 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on 3D Vision (3DV 2021)
- ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human Robot Interaction (HRI 2021)
- ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST 2021)
- ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC 2021)
- IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS 2021)
- ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI 2021)
- ACM Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GECCO 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution, and Reengineering (SANER 2021)
- IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC 2021)
- IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium
- ACM International Conference on Learning Analytics And Knowledge (LAK 2021)
- ACM/IEEE International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS 2021)
- ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom 2021)
- ACM Symposium on Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA 2021)
- ACM Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS 2021)
- ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI 2021)
- ACM International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis
- IEEE International Joint Conference on Biometrics (IJCB 2021)
- ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SoCC 2021)
- ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS 2021)
- ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI 2021)
- IEEE Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC 2021)
- IEEE Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding Workshop (ASRU 2021)
- ACM Multimedia Systems Conference (MMSys 2021)
- ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems
- ACM International Conference on User Modelling, Adaptation, and Personalization (UMAP 2021)
- ACM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC 2021)
- International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (ICDAR 2021)
- ACM Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC 2021)
- ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SENSYS 2021)
- ACM International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (CoNEXT 2021)
- IEEEE International Conference on Advances in Social Network Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2021)
- IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD 2021)
- ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MOBIHOC 2021)
- IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks
- IEEE International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks (WiOpt 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal-Based Surveillance (AVSS 2021)
- IEEE Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing
- ACM International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC 2021)
- ACM International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (IC3N 2021)
- ACM Symposium on Applied Computing
- IEEE Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ACSSC 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC 2021)
- ACM Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA 2021)
- IEEE International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2021)
- Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 2021)
- ACM on Web Science Conference (WebSci 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems
- IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE Big Data 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation (ICST 2021)
- IEEE Radar Conference (Radarconf 2021)
- ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS 2021)
- ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks (HOTNETS 2021)
- ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles & Practice of Parallel Programming (PPOPP 2021)
- IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, CICC 2021
- IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E 2021)
- IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS 2021)
- ACM Conference on Data and application security and privacy (CODASPY 2021)
- IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP 2021)
- IEEE International Conference on Computational Photography
- IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Application (CCTA 2021)
- Peer-reviewed Papers in IEEE Xplore, ACM DL, Google Scholar, Microsoft Academic, and other digital libraries and research portals.
- and other conferences and journals
Published papers from conferences or journals are eligible for 50% discount to encourage patenting peer-reviewed quality innovation that has been comprehensively disclosed as a paper. Papers that has not been published, preliminary ideas, or technical reports are eligible for 20% discount.